Radiology Health Equity Lab
Imaging & Therapy in the Management of Health Equity
Head: Joseph R. Osborne, MD, PhD
The Lab is founded with a series of NIH and Internal grants over the last decade from MSKCC and WCM to investigate 1) Access to affordable technology, 2) Improved communication and access, 3) Patient navigation.
The most recent Weill Cornell Medicine (WCM) IRB-approved study is the WCM catchment Prostate Cancer Health Impact Program (pCHIP) which is funded by the WCM Dean’s office. This project uses decision navigation (DNI) and shared decision making to guide African American and Hispanic/Latino patients at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist and NewYork-Presbyterian Queens in their health care decisions after being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. This project uses some of the same principles as the original project, CHIP, which was an NIH P30 funded MSKCC catchment project also headed by Dr. Osborne as Principal Investigator.
In the next series of studies, the Lab will expand it collaborations in the NewYork-Presbyterian enterprise, Cornell Center of Health Equity and public-private partnerships to include other cancers and modalities such as Breast Cancer and chronic diseases such as Cardiac Sarcoid. To investigate population health, the Radiology Health Equity Lab is positioned to be more proactive than observational in investigating other conditions which were a clear disparity exists and access has not been prioritized.
Selected recent publications include:
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Genomic Sequencing. Spratt DE, Chan T, Waldron L, Osborne JR. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Aug 1;2(8):1070-4.
- Association of Black Race with Prostate Cancer-Specific and Other-Cause Mortality. Dess RT, Hartman HE, Mahal BA, Osborne JR, Morgan TM, Mehra R, Salami SS, Kishan AU, Wang C, Schaeffer EM, Roach M 3rd, Pisansky TM, Shipley WU, Freedland SJ, Sandler HM, Halabi S, Feng FY, Dignam JJ, Nguyen PL, Schipper MJ, Spratt DE. JAMA Oncol. 2019 Jul 1;5(7):975-983.
- Cancer Health Impact Program (CHIP): Identifying Social and Demographic Associations of mHealth Access and Cancer Screening Behaviors Among Brooklyn, New York, Residents. Camacho-Rivera M, Rice SL, Oh S, Paris M, Gany F, Brown CL, Gonsky J, Osborne JR. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2019 Mar;28(3):478-485.
- Interventional Cultural and Language Assistance Program: Associations between Cultural and Linguistic Factors and Satisfaction with Cancer Care. Costas-Muniz R, Amir J, Paris M, Spratt D, Arevalo-Perez J, Fareedy S, González CJ, Gany F, Camacho-Rivera M, Osborne JR. J Community Med Health Educ. 2017;7(1):503.
- Individual Patient Data Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials: Impact of Black Race on Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer Outcomes. Spratt DE, Chen YW, Mahal BA, Osborne JR, Zhao SG, Morgan TM, Palapattu G, Feng FY, Nguyen PL. Eur Urol Focus. 2016 Dec;2(5):532-539.